Dog bitten by poisonous snake at UK beauty spot as vets issue dire warning

A poisonous snake has sunk its teeth into a dog’s neck, forcing him to spend the night in an animal hospital.

Scottish vets issued an urgent warning last week about the dangers of pit vipers lurking in popular walking spots after a pet suffered a fatal bite.

Bearsden-based veterinarian Glenbrae Veterinary Clinics shared a status on Facebook along with an image of the offending snake.

According to the post, the dog and owner were walking in Burncrooks Reservoir, a popular pedestrian area north of Milngavie, when a reptile pounced and fear erupted.

The dog was admitted to an animal hospital overnight and last Thursday (May 19) was told he was ‘fine’.

adder

Adder bites can kill a dog if left untreated

The Vets Post said: “Hey folks, beware of the Adders at Burncrooks Reservoir. This afternoon my dog ​​was bitten on the neck as we were walking down the path near the fishing club building.

“Knowing very little about snakes I hadn’t realized the immediate risk, but they are the only venomous snakes in the UK and harmful to people and pets if bitten.

“Our little dog is now being watched overnight at the animal hospital and luckily he is doing well so far. If you see one, avoid him!”

According to the Wildlife Trust, the pit viper is the UK’s only venomous snake and prefers woodland, moorland and heathland habitats.

racing dog

The dog is not the first to be injured by a viper bite in the UK this year (stock image)

Sam, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, was bitten by a viper on a walk in the Gower area of ​​South Wales and spent three days fighting for his life.

Thankfully he continued to recover, but with a £3,500 bill, owner Charlotte wanted to warn other dog owners amid a growing number of similar incidents.

One such scare cost dog owner Paula £1,000 in anti-venom after a snakebite knocked her Koda to the ground in eerie silence.

Paula was walking with her daughter Amy and their two dogs Koda and Willow in Northumberland National Park last month when a viper struck.

injured dog

Anti-poison doses can cost desperate dog owners thousands of pounds (file image)

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, be sure to sign up for one of our newsletters here

Mom Paula thought it was nothing more than a near miss when Koda hit the deck and rolled over silently.

As they continued their walk, however, two-year-old Vizsla’s face became increasingly swollen from a nightmarish walk.

Luckily, Paula was prepared with an add-on package, but that proved insufficient to save Koda completely. A vet has announced poison control alone can be as much as £1,000 per bottle.

Paula said: “I was just relieved that antivenom was available and we saved some money – we didn’t care how much it was.”

Leave a Comment